Thursday 27 October 2011

lemon and yoghurt cake

i needed a short reprieve today from the hand quilting i'd been doing so i decided to make a cake..my recipe choice was influenced by a large past it's use by date container of yoghurt sitting idle in my fridge and which i felt could only now be used in cooking..

i settled on this recipe after looking at several lemon and yoghurt cake recipes because i liked the sound of the ingredients..a lot of the recipes i looked at had a lemon and sugar syrup poured on the cake after cooking but, as much as i like that type of cake, i wanted to avoid a very sweet cake..

i didn't make any changes to the recipe but i did process my own almond meal from unblanched almonds and i left some pieces unprocessed so occasionally when eating a slice there's a nice little almond surprise..i cooked the cake in a slightly bigger tin than specified too so mine isn't quite as high as the one in the site photo but it cooked in the specified time given in the recipe..








after a few cups of tea and a slice of what turned out to be a delicious cake i returned to quilting my daughter's patchwork quilt..





the backing fabric

8 comments:

  1. I'd love a slice of that with my cup of tea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks nqn..if only we could get our goodies through the airwaves..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that looks delicious! i like not-too-sweet things as well. i think that's why i crave frozen yogurt all summer. and i can't wait to see the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty post, Jane! I love all yoghurt cakes - they're always so moist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for visiting nichole..frozen yoghurt is delicious in summer..i make smoothies with frozen berries and yoghurt which achieves a similar result..:)

    i haven't made many yoghurt cakes celia but after making this one i'm a convert..

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly looks delicious. I'm a big fan of using yogurt in cakes. I'm even more impressed with your patchwork - cakes I can manage - sewing, never!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi.. I just came across your blog and love the look of your cake.. Oh, to have a piece of that with my tea.. smile.. I think I need to go bake something.. grin.
    Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking cake and a nice change from Lemon Drizzle Cake which can be quite sickly. Love the quilting. GG

    ReplyDelete