Wednesday 13 June 2012

op shop treasure

after doing a regular walk with a friend yesterday in studley park i went to a local firewood retailer i knew about by the name of dunning's to get some wood so that i could have a fire last night for my children's and my dinner together only to find that they had closed down..i was really disappointed to find they were no longer operating because it was such an iconic business that had been there for 100 years..funnily enough my son and i had been talking recently about how much we loved dunning's wood yard and that we would be sad if it closed down..

anyway i decided i needed some cheering up after that disappointment so i visited an op shop that i used to frequent when i lived in the area before my move 4 years ago..i wasn't expecting to find anything much because other trips hadn't been particularly fruitful but i was pleasantly surprised to actually find the french ceramic hen, the 6 green jars, the vintage sheet, the sifter and the filing cabinet..i also found another rubber duck to join my ducks on parade!

and a little detour to another op shop on the way home after food shopping resulted in the purchase of the enamel bowl..on tuesday i found the enamel jug when my daughter alex and i did a bit of a detour on the way home via the op shop after having a coffee break at my local cafe..i spotted the lemons down a lane this morning but this is all i picked because i didn't have a bag with me..another better prepared trip is planned!




this made in australia propert sifter is in really good condition

relatively new jug made in romania

two piece french ceramic hen



i have a vision that involves another two of these

made in belgium


have you found any op shop treasures recently?

8 comments:

  1. What lovely finds Jane...and great photos! I love the enamel ware and the sifter, so solid and no nonsense yet beautiful. I op shopped just today but didn't really find any treasure:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jane..the sifter is one of the best i've seen..i like the no nonsense way way it can be operated with one hand..and the yellow handle was a bonus.. :)

      Delete
  2. Great finds! I love second-hand finds aswell! What does op mean? I would say junk shop,second-hand, rummage sale, boot sale,flea market, antique shop etc etc, but I've never heard op. Complimens for Lovely blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi wildcraft diva..thanks for your comment and for visiting..'op' is short for opportunity..it's a term that's in general use in australia..

      Delete
  3. Wow what a haul. I do like that jug and the filing cabinet would be so useful and a nice cheery colour too. I get the odd treasure at charity shops, but rarely more than one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks choclette..the filing cupboard isn't going to stay so cheery..i'm planning on giving it a makeover..

      Delete
  4. Oh how I love that clay hen pot!! What a find! I'm sorry to hear about your wood supplier though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous treasures, Jane! I really love the polka dot jug..too sweet.

    Funnily, I came across a handsifter similar to the one you have a couple of weeks ago..and your post has just reminded me that we haven't used it yet..must pull it out this week. :)

    ReplyDelete